Strep throat is a bacterial infection caused by Streptococcus bacteria. If not treated it can lead to more serious and painful problems like rheumatic fever, resulting in painful, inflamed joints. Early diagnosis is key, visit Grand Ave Urgent Care to perform Group A Rapid Strep Testing, we offer on-site lab work, so you can get results in less than 10 minutes. It is important to take the full dose of antibiotic as prescribed. Walk-ins are welcome, no appointment necessary.
Sore Throat vs. Strep Throat
Sore Throat Symptoms and Causes
- Pain or scratchy sensation in the throat, pain that worsens with swallowing or talking, sore & swollen glands in your neck or jaw, swollen & red tonsils, hoarse or muffled voice
- Not all sore throats are a result of a strep infection. Other illnesses can cause a sore throat, including: common cold, sinus infection, postnasal drip and acid reflux
- A sore throat caused by a viral infection requires no medical treatment unless it lasts longer than a few days.
Strep Throat Symptoms and Causes
- Swollen and tender lymph nodes in the neck, trouble swallowing, fatigue, a sudden fever especially if it’s 101 degree F or higher, loss of appetite, rash or lump in your neck, hoarseness lasting over a week, sore throat for over a week, ear ache, stomach ache possibly accompanied by vomiting (especially in young children), sore and red throat/tonsils with white spots, gray/furry tongue
- A strep throat caused by a bacterial infection requires medical treatment
To reduce your risk of complications contact your doctor or provider if your strep throat symptoms don’t improve within 48 hours of taking an antibiotic. They may need to prescribe a different antibiotic to fight the infection. If symptoms worsen and show no sign of improvement, or if the patient is diabetic or immunosuppressed please seek immediate medical attention.